Prof. Delmiro Fernandez-Reyes
Biomedical Computing and Intelligent Systems
African Computational Sciences Centre for Health and Development
+44 7956 661869
His unique interdisciplinary expertise translates in large clinical biomedical-science studies where state-of-the-art computational methods and digital health approaches combine with novel molecular high-throughput technologies to underpin discovery and validation of disease biomarkers, their mechanisms and their interventional use for improving childhood health in low and middle-income regions of sub-Saharan West-Africa. Delmiro’s work amalgamates global health paediatrics, infectious diseases, data-science, digital health and intelligent systems aimed at tackling Global Health Grand Challenges such as childhood life-threatening malaria and tuberculosis. He founded with Co-Investigators at COMUI (2006) the Childhood Malaria Research Group (CMRG), a world-leading clinical malaria and research unit based at the University College Hospital of Ibadan, Nigeria, that underpins his group’s research. DF-R moved his MRC funding and malaria research programme to UCL-CS (2015) where his academic and research activities are part of the UCL-CS Intelligent Systems Group and UCL Institute for Digital Health (IDH).
EDUCATION / QUALIFICATIONS
- 2003: M.Sc. (distinction) Computer Science. Department of Computer Science, University College London, London, United Kingdom.
- 1999: Doctor of Philosophy (D.Phil.), Molecular Medicine. Weatherall Institute of Molecular Medicine, University of Oxford, Oxford, United Kingdom.
- 1993: Medical Doctor (MD), Clinical Medicine. Luis Razetti School of Medicine, Universidad Central de Venezuela, Caracas, Venezuela.
- Enabling Clinical Decisions from Low-power MRI In Developing Nations Through Image Quality Transfer (IQT-Epilepsy)
- Tackling Malaria Diagnosis in sub-Saharan Africa with Accurate and Scalable Malaria-Parasite Identification from Digitised Blood Films Using Robotic Automation, Computer Vision and Machine Learning
- Fourier ptychographic high-resolution microscope
Whole-Sample Mapping of Cancerous and Benign Tissue Properties
Authors: Lydia Neary-Zajiczek, Clara Essmann, Neil Clancy, Aiman Haider, Elena Miranda, Michael Shaw, Amir Gander, Brian Davidson, Delmiro Fernandez-Reyes, Vijay Pawar, Danail Stoyanov.
Journal: arXiv preprint arXiv:1907.09974
Data-Driven Malaria Prevalence Prediction in Large Densely-Populated Urban Holoendemic sub-Saharan West Africa: Harnessing Machine Learning Approaches and 22-years of Prospectively Collected Data
Authors: Biobele J. Brown, Alexander A. Przybylski, Petru Manescu, Fabio Caccioli, Gbeminiyi Oyinloye, Muna Elmi, Michael J. Shaw, Vijay Pawar, Remy Claveau, John Shawe-Taylor, Mandayam A. Srinivasan, Nathaniel K. Afolabi, Adebola E. Orimadegun, Wasiu A. Ajetunmobi, Francis Akinkunmi, Olayinka Kowobari, Kikelomo Osinusi, Felix O. Akinbami, Samuel Omokhodion, Wuraola A. Shokunbi, Ikeoluwa Lagunju, Olugbemiro Sodeinde, Delmiro Fernandez-Reyes
Journal: arXiv preprint arXiv:1906.07502