Prof. Daniel C. Alexander
Professor of Imaging Science
He is deputy editor of Magnetic Resonance in Medicine (since 2016); previously IEEE Trans. Med. Im. and PLoS ONE), editorial board member for NeuroImage, program chair of BMVC 2009 and IPMI 2015, and ISMRM program committee member 2014-2017. ISMRM senior fellow since 2017. Teaching experience includes programming, image processing, research methods, and medical imaging, at undergraduate and postgraduate levels. He has graduated 26 PhD students and leads the Microstructure Imaging Group, mig.cs.ucl.ac.uk, and POND groups, pond.cs.ucl.ac.uk, at UCL. More details: http://www.cs.ucl.ac.uk/staff/D.Alexander.
EDUCATION / QUALIFICATIONS
- 1997: Ph.D. University College London, London. (Computer Science)
- 1994: M.Sc. University College London, London. (Computer Science)
- 1993: Wadham College, Oxford Univ., Oxford. (Mathematics)
RESEARCH AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
- 2014- Director of the UCL Centre for Medical Image Computing.
- 2009- Professor of Imaging Sciences, CMIC and Dept. Comp. Sci., UCL.
- 09/17-07/18 Visiting Professor, Clinical Image Research Centre, NUS, Singapore.
- 09/13-12/13 Visiting Professor, Microsoft Research Cambridge.
- 2007-2009 Reader in Imaging Sciences, CMIC and Dept. Comp. Sci., UCL.
- 2005-2007 Senior Lecturer, Centre for Medical Imaging Computing and Department of Computer Science, UCL.
- 2000-2005 Lecturer, Department of Computer Science, University College London, London, UK.
- 1998-2000 Postdoctoral Fellow, Dept. of Comp. and Info. Science, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia.
- 1997-1998 Research Associate, Dept. of Biomed. Eng., Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital, Stanmore, London.
- Young, A.L., Marinescu, R-V, Oxtoby, N.P. ... Alexander, D.C. (2018). Uncovering the heterogeneity and temporal complexity of neurodegenerative diseases with Subtype and Stage Inference. Nature Communications 9 4273.
- Oxtoby, N., Young, A.L., Cash, D.M., Benzinger, T.L.S., Fagan, A.M., Morris, J.C., ... Alexander, D.C. (2018). Data-driven models of dominantly-inherited Alzheimer's disease progression. Brain 141 1529-44.
- Alexander, D.C., Zikic, D., Ghosh, A., Tanno, R., Wottschel, V., Zhang, J., ...Zhang, H. (2017). Image quality transfer and applications in diffusion MRI. Neuroimage 152 283-298.
- Young AL, Oxtoby NP, Daga P, Cash DM, Fox NC, Ourselin S, Schott JM, Alexander DC. A data-driven model of biomarker changes in sporadic Alzheimer's disease. Brain, 137 2564-77, 2014.
- Panagiotaki, E., Walker-Samuel, S., Siow, B.M., Johnson, P., Rajkumarc, V., Pedley, R.B., Lythgoe, M.F., Alexander, D. C. Non-invasive quantification of solid tumor microstructure using VERDICT MRI. Cancer Research. 74, 1902. 2014.
- Zhang, H., Schneider, T., Wheeler-Kingshott, C. A., Alexander, D. C. NODDI: practical in vivo neurite orientation dispersion and density imaging of the human brain. Neuroimage 61, 1000-1016, 2012.
- Alexander D.C., Hubbard P.L., Hall M.G., Moore E.A., Ptito M., Parker G.J.M., Dyrby T.D. Orientationally invariant indices of axon diameter and density from diffusion MRI. NeuroImage, 52(4), 1374-1389, 2010.
- Draganski B., Kherif F., Kloppel S., Cook P.A., Alexander D.C., Parker G.J., Deichmann R., Ashburner J., Frackowiak R.S. Evidence for segregated and integrative connectivity patterns in the human Basal Ganglia. J. Neuroscience 28, 7143-7152, 2008.
- Powell H.W.R., Parker G.J.M., Alexander D.C., Symms M.R., Boulby P.A., Barker G.J., Koepp M.J. and Duncan J.S., MR-Tractography predicts visual field defects following temporal lobe resection. Neurology, 64, pp. 596-599, 2005.
- Parker G.J.M. and Alexander D.C., Probabilistic anatomic connectivity derived from the microscopic persistent angular structure of cerebral tissue. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B. 360, 893-902, 2005.
- Jansons K.M., Alexander D.C. Persistent Angular Structure: new insights from diffusion MRI. Inv. Prob. 19, 1031--1046, 2003.
- Alexander D.C., Barker G.J. and Arridge S.R. Detection and modeling of non-Gaussian apparent diffusion coefficient profiles in human brain data. Magnetic Resonance in Medicine. 48, 331-40, 2002.
- Alexander D.C., Pierpaoli C., Basser P.J. and Gee, J.C. Spatial transformations of diffusion tensor MR Images. IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, 20(11), 1131-1139, 2001.